Updated: Dec 31, 2022
Most people know what country town in Australia their ancestors settled in, but have you ever wondered what was happening in the town to make them move there or what happened in the town while they were there?
Below is a timeline of the history of the NSW town of Boggabri and the Kytherian precence there. We have included all Kytherian known to be in Boggabri so far in our research, but we can assume there were others.
As you read trough the timeline there are a few things to consider. Public works such as bridge construction or public building construction would have bought people to the town. Businesses, including Kytherian owned businesses, would often donate money or goods for the construction or renovations/improvements of schools or hospitals. It was not uncommon for Kytherian businesses to donate half a days earnings to the cause and they would advertise this to improve the takings.
Located - 36 km north west of Gunnedah in country New South Wales on Coxs Creek.
Industries - Wheat, tobacco, sheep, barley, maize, lucerne hay, oats, sorghum, oilseeds, honey, cotton and fossicking.
1860 - Town gazetted as Bogabri.
1862 - First lots sold.
1864 - Old village destroyed, presumably by fire, and relocated to present site.
1864 - Flood.
1866 - Population about 50.
1868 - Bridge built over Coxs Creek.
1870 - Post office built.
1871 - Population 94.
1873 - School established.
1878 - Court-house built.
1878 - Police station built
1878 - Typhoid outbreak.
1881 - New post office built.
1881 - Telegraph office built.
1881 - Population 453.
1882 - Drainage system installed.
1882 - Railway station built.
1882 - New school built.
1883 - Lattice truss bridge fabricated in England is erected over Namoi River.
1883 - Additions to school.
1887 - Roman Catholic Church built.
1890 - Flood.
1891 - Population 506.
1895 - Additions to school.
1895 - Population about 500.
1899 - Typhoid outbreak.
1901 - Population 560.
1903 - Typhoid outbreak.
1904 - Flood.
1904 - Additions to post office, school and telegraph office.
1905 - Addictions to police station
1908 - Telephone exchange established.
1910 - Flood.
1910 - Flour mill established.
1910 - Methodist church built.
1911 - Population peaked at 1953.
1913 - Hospital built.
November 1915-February 1916 - Dimitrios Fardoulis (James Fardoulys), born 1900 to Nikolaos Fardoulis and Effrosini Kominou, lived in Boggabri.
About 1917 - Emmanouil Benardos, born 1895 to Ioannis Benardos and Theohari Georgopoulos, lived in Boggabri for nine months.
1919 - Additions to hospital
1920 - Dust storm.
1920 - Flood.
1921 - Large hailstorm.
About 1921 - Emmanouil Zaglanikis (Kokineas) (Emanuel Cochineas), born 1898 to Georgios Zaglanikis (Kokineas) and Maria Aronis, settled in Boggabri. His brother Dimitrios was there earlier and his brother Peter joined them in about 1926. The brothers were refreshment room proprietors.
1922 - Mouse plague.
December 1924-April 1928 - Emmanouil Magonezos (also known as Emanuel Aroney) lived in Boggabri.
1928 - 1950 Georgios Kritharis, born 1897 to Panagiotis Kritharis and Grigoria Mavrogiorgi, and his wife Natalia Megalokonomou born 1904 to Dimitrios Megalokonomos and Andriana Megalokonomou living in Boggabri. They owned Crethary's Refreshment Rooms and later the newsagency.
Late 1929-mid to late 1930 - Spiros Vlantis, born 1905 to Panagiotis Vlantis and Eleni Veneri, lived in Boggabri and worked for the Cochineas bothers.
1930 - Coxs Creek bridge replaced.
1930 - Additions to hospital
1931 - Addictions to police station.
1933 - Population 1218.
1934 - Additions to hospital.
1934 - Additions to police station.
1934 - Silos built.
1935 - New court-house built.
1939 - New Roman Catholic church built.
1940 - Namoi River bridge redecked.
1940 - Water supply to town.
1940 - Nikolaos Kalokerinos (see blog about the banjo playing Kytherian) spent time in Boggabri playing his banjo.
1946 - Boggabri Electric Light Co. burnt down.
1947 - Population 1197.
1953 - New school built.
1954 - Population 1378.
1955 - Flood.
1955 - Silos built.
1956 - Sewerage in town.
1959 - Additions to hospital.
1961 - Population 1256.
1966 - Population 1199.
1966 - Additions to hospital.
1971 - Population 1065.
1976 - Population 973.
1979 - New police station constructed.
1981 - Population 1023.
1986 - Clock tower built.
1986 - Population 967.
1987 - Cox Creek bridge replaced.
1991 - Population 958.
1996 - Population 875.
2001 - Population 803.
2011 - Population 865.
Historical Guide to New South Wales by Philip Simpson
National Archives of Australia naturalisation papers